How Toxic Mold Exposure Affects Your Pets

How Toxic Mold Exposure Affects Your Pets

Keep Your Pets Healthy by Knowing the Different Symptoms of Toxic Mold Exposure

Your pet is a member of your family. Like with any family member, you would do anything to ensure that they are healthy and happy. From the diet you feed your pet to the regular checkups at the vet, everyone wants what’s best for their furry companion. Most people are aware of the health effects of toxic mold exposure in humans, but what many don’t realize is that it can affect your pet too.

Household pets can all be affected by exposure to toxic mold. While a full-grown, healthy adult may not feel the effects of mold right away, infants, elders, and pets are much more susceptible to its effects much sooner. To prevent long-term exposure, be sure to know the symptoms of toxic mold exposure in pets and what you can do to make your home a safer environment for your family and pet.

Pets Can be Allergic to Mold TooDog feeling unwell after mold exposure

Like humans, animals can be allergic to mold. However, while allergy symptoms in people can be triggered by simply being in the presence of a certain allergen, pets are exposed to allergies when the allergen is exposed to their skin. In other words, mold has to actually touch an animal in order to cause allergy symptoms.

The most common mold allergy symptoms and behaviors in animals are:

  • Excessive scratching
  • Skin irritations that progress into sores or bald spots
  • Broken skin
  • Chewing, biting, or licking their feet

Although your pet may show allergy symptoms, it does not always mean there is a presence of toxic mold in your home. If your pet has symptoms, take your pet to the veterinary clinic to have them professionally diagnosed as it could be a result of another problem.

sick cat from mold exposureEating or Inhaling Toxic Mold Can Cause More Serious Health Problems for Your Pet

What sets us apart from our pets is that we are able to express to others when we don’t feel well. Pets cannot tell us when something is wrong or if they don’t feel well. While allergy symptoms could be an indicator of toxic mold being present in or around your home, the more serious effects of toxic mold exposure in pets are caused by inhaling or ingesting it.

Symptoms of toxic mold exposure in your pets due to ingestion include:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Changes in drinking habits (drinking too much or too little water)
  • Stool changes
  • Vomiting

Symptoms of toxic mold exposure due to inhalation include:

  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Wheezing
  • Rapid or difficulty in breathing
  • Nosebleeds
  • Fatigue

Determining whether or not your furry companion is simply feeling under the weather or is showing symptoms of toxic mold exposure due to inhalation or ingestion can make a great difference in your pet’s treatment.

Seek medical attention for your dog if you suspect mold exposure When You Should Seek Medical Treatment for Your Pet

If your pet shows symptoms of toxic mold exposure, it is important that you seek veterinary attention right away. The sooner your pet receives medical care, the better the chances they will make a full recovery. But before you bring your pet back into your home after treatment, your home should be inspected and tested for toxic mold growth by mold remediation specialists.

Calling a 24/7 mold remediation company, such as CLEAR Restoration, will help you get the results you need immediately and help prevent further toxic mold exposure. Removing mold from your home is the best way to keep you, your pets, and your family healthy and safe. Don’t wait until your pet begins to feel ill from toxic mold exposure. If you suspect toxic mold is growing in your home, call CLEAR Restoration today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *