When your home or business is exposed to moisture, mold can begin to grow. The effects of mold are still a mystery. Research done by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health shows that the exact effects and severity of mold illnesses is still unclear. While some research may be inconclusive, here are a few common mold myths that have been debunked.
6 Mold Myths and Why They Aren’t True
Mold Myth #1: Mold is a Natural Thing, It Can’t Be Dangerous
This myth is partially true. Yes, mold occurs naturally. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, molds are fungi that grow in damp, warm, and humid conditions. However, they can contain some level of danger. Consistent exposure to mold may have effects on your health if you are allergic to the allergens that it produces. Allergic reactions may include difficulty breathing, itchy and watery eyes, nasal stuffiness, skin irritation, etc. While research shows that mold exposure will not kill you, it can leave you feeling very ill.
Mold can also have negative effects on your house or building. If mold is present in a concentrated area indoors, it may lead to the deterioration of the structure. It is vital to address a mold problem immediately. Hiring a professional mold remediation service is a good idea if you want to ensure that mold is removed quickly and completely.
Mold Myth #2: If There is Only a Little Bit of Mold Then There’s No Need to Worry
A small amount of mold can pose a major threat to your health and the wellbeing of your home or business. If mold is visible, then you already have a problem. Even the smallest amount of mold is problematic because you are only seeing the very tip of the fungi; the rest of the mold is hidden beneath the surface. It is important to begin the remediation process as soon as mold is visible in order to prevent it from spreading or causing health and structural problems.
Mold Myth #4: Bleach is an Affective Killer of Mold
Bleach may effectively kill some forms of mold on non-porous surfaces, but it certainly doesn’t kill all forms or mold on porous surfaces. Mold on porous surfaces such as wood, carpet, ceiling tile, or drywall can’t be effectively killed by bleach because bleach loses potency and doesn’t soak into surfaces. On surfaces such as these, bleach simply discolors the mold, which only gives the appearance that molds have been removed. A professional remediation service has all the proper tools to kill the mold, remove it completely, and clean the affected area for further prevention.
Mold Myth #5: I Killed the Mold, There’s No Need to Remove It
Removal of mold is completely necessary. Allergens are still present in dead mold and can cause health effects, so simply killing the mold will not do the job. If the mold is not completely removed then its roots will still be present, giving the mold and its allergens the opportunity to spread. In a situation where mold is present, you must call a professional remediation service or risk further spreading of mold and its allergens.
Mold Myth #6: Cleaning Up Mold is Easy
While the cleaning process may seem easy, the average person is not fully equipped to remove mold properly. A professional mold remediation service uses powerful tools and chemicals to completely remove the mold down to its root. These specialists will help to ensure that mold does not return or cause health problems by identifying the source of the mold, isolating the affected area to prevent further spreading, removing contaminated materials, and cleaning or removing the affected area completely.
A professional mold remediation service such as CLEAR Restoration will ensure that mold is cleaned and removed completely to prevent health problems and other negative effects to your home or business. The professionals will fix your mold problem in a timely manner with powerful tools and chemicals, leaving your home or business safe and mold-free. Call CLEAR Restoration today to properly remove the mold from your home or business.