Is it Safe to Touch Mold?

Is it safe to touch mold

Is it Safe to Touch Mold? – How to Keep Yourself Safe When You’re Cleaning Mold

When there is mold growth in your home, the invisible spores can cause adverse health effects such as asthma, allergies, and more if you try to get rid of the mold improperly. Because exposure to mold can be dangerous, especially to people with health conditions, there are special instructions for cleaning mold outbreaks safely.

It’s also important to note that if the mold occupies more than 10 square feet, you should call a professional mold remediation company like CLEAR Restoration to conduct a full inspection and remediation.

Effects of Touching Mold

Although most mold isn’t toxic, the toxins released by some molds are known to cause skin irritations, rashes, and even fungal infections if an open wound is exposed. Sinus infections and upper respiratory infections can also be linked back to mold exposure. In children, early exposure to mold indoors can make them more susceptible to developing asthma.

When asking if it’s safe to touch mold, the hard rule is: never let mold touch your skin. That means if you’re trying to get rid of mold yourself, you need to wear protective gloves. Waterproof rubber gloves offer sufficient protection for your skin and any chemicals you might use to clean the outbreak.

[Related: Dangerous Types of Mold]

older man with blanket coughing insideWho is Most Vulnerable to Symptoms of Mold Exposure?

While it’s important to know whether it is safe to touch mold, you also need to know what other dangers it poses even when not touched. Some people are more likely to present symptoms of mold exposure – age and health condition are the biggest factors that affect how likely a person is to be affected by mold’s toxicity. People most susceptible to health effects from mold exposure:

  • People with Compromised Immune Systems
  • People with Respiratory Illnesses
  • The Elderly
  • Children
  • People with Dust or Pollen Sensitivity

Anyone who falls outside of these categories can still feel the effects of touching mold or mold exposure, but most healthy adults with strong immune systems won’t have adverse health effects from a small amount of mold in the home.

[Related: Causes and Prevention of Black Mold]

How to Handle Mold Properly

It can be tempting to try and wipe the mold away yourself if you think it is safe to touch mold. Still, it’s important to remember that if mold growth exceeds 10 square feet or becomes a chronic problem, you should contact a professional mold remediation company like CLEAR Restoration to take care of it.

If the mold patch is smaller than a 3×3 section, homeowners can try to clean it with a few tips in mind.


Open your home’s windows and doors to create a way for air to circulate the chemical vapors outside. If you have a dehumidifier, turn it on to dry up the air. When mold can’t find moisture, it dies.

mold remediation professional cleaning wall safelyProtect Yourself, So it is Safer to Touch the Mold

Next, put on a mask that covers your mouth and nose. Throw on your waterproof rubber gloves and protective eyewear. Wear clothing that can get messed up in case of bleach splashes while you’re scrubbing.

Create A Bleach Mixture

Get a bucket to create a mixture of water and bleach. For each gallon of water, add one cup of bleach, and scrub the solution on the moldy patches. Remember – it is not safe to touch mold with your skin. Make sure you dry the area when you’re done, and keep the dehumidifier going to lessen the chance that mold grows back.

Note: Do NOT mix bleach with ammonia. When combined, toxic fumes are released that are more dangerous than any mold.

[Related: How to Prevent Carpet Mold]

Contact CLEAR Restoration for Mold Remediation Because It is Not Safe to Touch Mold

When you’re dealing with mold in your home, your safest option is to call a professional to handle the outbreak for you. If you have extensive damage, a mold remediation specialist like CLEAR Restoration can devise a plan to remove the mold and any structures it may have damaged. This way, they can find the source of the mold problem and fix whatever is causing it. If the source of the problem isn’t mitigated, mold will keep coming back, so make sure you give CLEAR Restoration a call today at (225)-245-3575.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *